Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Doing it savanna-style

I really can't believe I forgot this part on my last post - I was way too distracted, given I wrote it just as we were meeting our former teacher at a restaurant to say goodbye. But this event was so good it merits its own post, before I start up with my Capetown news. Because... on that last day of our safari in the Okavango, along with everything else, we saw another pair of lions, a male with a magnificent two-colored mane and a female. And as we watched them for several minutes, the guy got up, bit his girl on the neck, and mounted her. Yup. They had sex right in front of us. Surely a high point of the entire semester...

(In case you're wondering, mating lions do it for seven days straight, every 30 minutes, without eating all week. Now that's a rigorous schedule. And yes, we got pictures and video.)

No comments:

Post a Comment